Over the years, I have heard that it is a good idea to have a glass of warm water in the morning with a slice of fresh lemon. I personally have not done this as I must admit that I like my first cup of coffee in the morning, but recently I had gone out to lunch with friends and as one of them asked for a glass of water with lemon, the waiter brought us all one as well. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It makes a really refreshing drink. I decided after this experience to look up what the benefits of a glass of water with lemon juice are and found out the following.
A glass of warm lemon water is a great way to start the day. It helps your digestive system and helps with the elimination of waste products from the body, therefore also ensuring good bowel function. It is a rich source of nutrients, such as vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and pectin fibre. It also has traces of vitamin A and iron and has medicinal and antibacterial properties. It helps maintain the immune system and therefore helps protect you from infections. Its helps purify the blood and its high potassium content is beneficial to the heart.
Here is a list of some of the benefits I found from foodmatters.com.
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
- Lemons contain pectin fibre which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
- It balances and maintains the PH in the body
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
- It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
- It helps reduce pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- It helps cure the common cold
The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver. In case of a heartburn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
- It aids in the production of digestive juices
- Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session
I have been drinking a large glass of water with some lemon in it throughout the morning and sometimes add more water later on and still enjoy it. It is always best to use fresh lemons, organic if possible for the best results.
The following information is from waterbenefitshealth.com.
How Much and How Often to Drink It
If you weigh less than 150 pounds and are in good health, squeeze half a fresh lemon (about one ounce) in 8 to 12 ounces of filtered water and drink it first thing in the morning for the best cleansing benefits. If this is too strong, dilute it to taste.
If you weigh over 150 pounds, you could drink the same amount of lemon water twice a day. Or you could squeeze a whole lemon (two ounces) into 24 to 32 ounces of clean water and drink this throughout the morning.