Just like so many other natural healing treatments, the use of essential oils has once again become very popular all around the world. Every day our bodies are exposed to stress, toxins, foods laden with chemicals; it’s no wonder we often hear “I have no energy”. The use of essential oils is a great way to rejuvenate your body and get back to a more natural lifestyle.
Essential oils are extracted directly from the bark, flower, fruit, leaves, nut, resin or root of a plant or tree, and just one or two drops can provide amazing health benefits. They are highly concentrated and considered to carry the “essence” of the plant within them. Essential oils can carry hundreds of components in every drop, each with its own benefits and effects. Used since Bible days, the potency behind these oils is their ability to support your natural healing systems.
These oils should be purchased from a health store or a reliable source. The quality oils are 100% organic, free from pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers.
There are hundreds of essential oils to choose from, each one with its own healing abilities. Whatever your problem or condition, there may well be an essential oil healing treatment for you. “All of these oils are super-healers and should be in medicine cabinets all over the world”, states Dr. Eric L. Zielinski in his booklet Using God’s Medicine for the Abundant Life – An Evidence-Based Approach to Essential Oils.
It should be noted that some oils may create occasional irritation or minor discomfort. If you have any side effects, stop using the oil immediately. Here are just a few suggestions on how to use them:
- For immune support and every day good health, add 1 drop of clove essential oil to a teaspoon of raw honey or coconut oil and follow with some water.
- Make your home pleasant smelling by adding essential oil diffusers to one or more rooms, preferably the ones with the most traffic. Better than plug-in air fresheners (which are really just chemical sprayers), these diffusers allow the essential oils to fill the air. You will find yourself more relaxed, less anxious, and it is said to benefit those battling depression. Additionally, it will rid you of dry, itchy skin, and help clear up sinus problems. Tobacco and pet odours will not be as noticeable either. And because they are small and lightweight, take them with you when you travel in your camper or hotel room. You can mix oils for a variety of smells; the Internet is full of combinations for you to try. For example, “Use this blend for great protection, to boost respiratory function and to help clear congestion – especially during cold and flu season: 2 drops Lemon + 1 drop Lime + 2 drops Peppermint + 1 drop Rosemary + 2 drops Eucalyptus + 1 drop Clove”.
- For problems with acne, put 3 drops of lemon oil on a cotton ball and apply to affected areas of the skin.
- Add essential oils to your bath. Mixing 10 drops of a soothing oil (eucalyptus or lavender are ideal) with 1 cup of salt (Himalayan Pink is best) makes a fantastic aromatherapy for circulatory, muscular, respiratory, skin and sleep problems, in addition to calming your nerves.
- For burns or eczema, mix 2 to 3 drops of lavender with coconut oil to aid in the healing process.
- If you have sinus problems, use oils known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Some of these include peppermint, tea tree, oregano and menthol. Congestion is the result of one of two reasons. The first is that your sinuses are producing more mucous than can be drained out normally, causing a buildup. The second is the possible inflammation of your sinuses, which worsens the first problem by narrowing the available space for mucous to drain out. Steaming with peppermint oil for a sinus infection will both break up mucous and infuse the sinuses with the oil for relief. As mentioned before, essential oils smell nice, which can help keep you relaxed and calm …. always a benefit when dealing with an infection. One method of steaming is to boil water and pour it into a two-inch-deep, heatproof bowl. Add in seven to eight drops of your essential oil and stir. Do not add in the oil before boiling as that will boil away the oil in the process. Lean over the bowl and drape a cloth over your head and bowl both. Inhale through your mouth and nose until your congestion is relieved. You can repeat this process as often as needed.
In some cases, a carrier oil is required to be mixed with the essential oil. Essential oils evaporate easily, and would simply disappear on the skin if you used them on their own. Because carrier oils do not evaporate as quickly, they help to preserve the essential oil until it penetrates the skin. Some of the more popular carrier oils include coconut oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil and aloe vera oil. In some cases these carrier oils also dilute the heavily concentrated essential oils, lessening the chances of skin irritation. Use 2 to 3 drops of Frankincense, mixed with coconut oil, to reduce muscle, joint and bone pain. Massage into problem areas, such as knees and shoulders, and reapply as needed.
Frankincense is actually considered by many to be one of the most powerful essential oils. It has been suggested that Frankincense and Myrrh were given as gifts to the baby Jesus as medicines, perhaps to help ease any swelling and/or bruising common with newborns. Along with many other oils, it is said to be effective in shrinking tumours, and there have been many studies to back this claim up. I just watched a documentary the other night “The Truth About Cancer – A Global Quest”. One person interviewed in this video, Allison Huish, had a brain tumour when she was only 13 years old. Surgery was only able to remove half of it. After much research she and her mom decided to heal herself naturally. In all of their readings, the healing abilities of Frankincense continued to impress them. Along with changing to a more nutritional diet, she put a drop of Frankincense on her tongue every 2 hours of the day. It was a gradual process, but eventually she was told by her doctor, “your tumour has completely disintegrated”.
I have read many documentations reporting how Alzheimer patients show more alertness and overall well-being after being treated with essential oils.
Be sure to visit a natural health doctor to see how essential oils can benefit you.
Essential oils – they even have a therapeutic sound to them.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and I don’t have any medical training. I am just an individual that researches information that other people have studied and proven to be effective, and I just pass that information on to you.